I am physically located in California. At the beginning of each telemedicine session, I will help my doctor to complete a
check-in to assess the suitability of using telemedicine services by verifying my full name, my current location, my
readiness to proceed, and whether I am in a situation conducive to private, uninterrupted communication. By signing
this consent, I understand and agree:
1. My doctor is located in and licensed by the State of California. My doctor may not be able to prescribe medications
for me and/or may not be able to assist me in an emergency situation when I am located in any other state or country.
If I require medication, I may contact my doctor. If I require emergency care, I may call 911 or proceed to the nearest
hospital emergency room for help.
2. I submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the California state superior courts and agree that any claim, lawsuit, or other
legal proceeding arising out of or relating to the telemedicine services provided by my doctor and my doctor’s staff
will be brought solely and exclusively in California state superior courts. I also agree that the interpretation of this
consent will be exclusively governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of California.
3. My doctor believes that telemedicine services are appropriate for my medical condition and that I would benefit
from its use despite its risks and limitations. While I may expect anticipated benefits from the use of telemedicine, no
specific results can be guaranteed or assured.
4. If my doctor believes at any time that another form of services (for example, a traditional in person consultation)
would be appropriate, my doctor may discontinue telemedicine services and schedule an in-person consultation with
my doctor or refer me to a healthcare provider in my area who can provide such services.
5. I have the right to withdraw consent to the use of telemedicine services at any time and receive in person healthcare
services with my doctor.
6. I received an explanation of how the electronic communications technology will be used for the telemedicine
services. I am comfortable with using electronic communications technology to communicate with my doctor and
understand there are limitations to the technology which may require an in-person consultation.
7. I agree to have the necessary computer, equipment and internet access for my telemedicine communications. I
also agree to arrange for a location with sufficient lighting and privacy and is free from distractions and intrusions
during my telemedicine communications. Revised 7/2019
8. The laws that protect privacy and the confidentiality of my medical information also apply to telemedicine. The
medical information that is transmitted electronically by my doctor to me will be encrypted during transmission and will
be stored only by my doctor or a service provider selected by my doctor. I understand the dissemination of any
personally-identifiable images or information from the telemedicine communication to researchers or other healthcare
providers will not occur except as required by federal or California state law.
9. I understand my risks of a privacy violation increase substantially when I enter information on a public access
computer, use a computer that is on a shared network, allow a computer to “auto remember” usernames and
passwords, or use my work computer for personal communications. I also understand it is my responsibility to encrypt
medical information I transmit electronically to my doctor and my failure to use technical safeguards, such as
encryption, increases my risks of a privacy violation.
CONSENT TO USE TELEMEDICINE
10. I understand that no part of the encounter will be recorded without my written consent.
11. I have the right to access my medical information and obtain copies of my medical records in
accordance with California law.
12. I understand that the telemedicine services provided to me will be billed to my health insurance company
and that I will be billed for any patient responsibility as per my insurance. I read and understand the
information provided in this Consent to Use of Telemedicine. I discussed any questions I had with my doctor
and all of my questions were answered to my satisfaction.